Monday, April 20, 2009

O: Outdoors

As a cubical dweller, I spend most of my day staring at a computer screen or the dark cranberry burlap that defines my little space. I am fortunate to have a window on the wall that is under my control and not obstructed by anything. The view is of the parking lot and the small road which fronts the office, but I can peer out and see trees, sun, clouds, and other aspects of nature.

I love the outdoors. The area where I live is surrounded by farm land and river banks. A short day-trip gets you into the mountains or to the ocean side. The painting of the cows was inspired by a field in the middle of a very ritzy development near the office and my home. My house is situated at the end of a street and adjacent to a 5 acre plot of land, so I have the illusion of living in the country even though I live within town limits. I built the deck last year to better enjoy the back yard.

My wife recently gave me a gift of a Cannon EOS Rebel camera with two lenses and all the trimmings. My wife is awesome! This is a toy that I have been denying myself for several years and I look forward to seeing what I can do with it. I don’t aspire to be a "photographer," but I enjoy the accidentally good pictures that I create now and then. One of my friends added that I will be able to create fodder for my paintings as well with my new rig.

I’ve included a few pictures that are simmering on the back burner of my mind as sources for paintings. I look forward to putting them into effect. The trees are turning, and flowers are blooming at this time of year. But I am equally inspired by the cold, dormant seasons as well. I can sit for hours on my back porch listening to the mourning doves call. I can make their sound and get them to call back on a good day. It makes the cat crazy when I do it inside.

Splinter is my daughter’s cat. She is living with us right now because my daughter’s roommate can’t be around Splinter. I am amazed at how intensely she lies in the window staring out at the birds and squirrels. Spinter is also inspired by the outdoors.

Springtime also signals the beginning of lacrosse season. We spend a good deal of time in the outdoors following our children and nieces and nephews as they play their games. My nephew Henry, who is a first-grader, is pictured playing lacrosse like a pro!

No comments:

Post a Comment