Wednesday, May 27, 2009

X: Xperience and Xpertise

Hey, I’m a graphic designer. Sometimes we take liberties. This is like NEW and IMPROVED expertise and experience. (Insert starburst and flashing pink words)



My friend Dwayne suggested that I blog about the X-Men comic for this letter. So, I’m here to introduce the NEWEST and MOST IMPROVEST X-Man, Milton Glaser. Ok, this is borderline stalking, but I came across some new MG info and I wanted to put it in. It’s my blog…

I was browsing through LinkedIn and the Communications Arts discussion group. One of the discussions was a post by Barney Davey, Founder of Boldstar Communications. He related that a new documentary on MG was premiering May 22. He directed readers to his blog, which I will do here as well. http://www.artprintissues.com/2009/05/milton-glaser-documentary-premiers-may-22-register-to-win-a-poster-or-book-.html

Once there, I found a link to another page where he relates MG’s 10 Things I have Learned—The Secret of Art. If the Dali Lama posted a link to the secret of life--you’d go wouldn’t you? Gunga ga lunga. Read this if you have any interest in truthful, insightful, meaningful understanding that may influence your life (http://www.artprintissues.com/2008/02/milton-glaser-.html)

This past weekend, I indulged myself and purchased MG’s book Drawing is Thinking, which is an amazing and dynamic book. Aside from 20 pages of introduction and an interview, the remaining 200+ pages are drawings by Glaser. You are supposed to view them sequentially to get into the thinking of MG’s mind. I have been studying them since.

There is no substitute for real Xperience and Xpertise.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dave,
    Thanks for posting about my MG blog post. I hope you registered for the drawing. There is a copy of the book you have and two signed posters to be won. No strings. Just a way to help MG promote the new and well deserved documentary on him. Cheers, Barney Davey

    ReplyDelete