Friday, May 29, 2009

Y: Yoshinari Takahashi

Earlier today, I uploaded a poster to my portfolio on Designrelated.com and decided to browse the inspiration pages for some new ideas. I came across this page which had a video where the artist, Yoshinari Takahashi, creates a stream of pen and ink designs that travel throughout a small book. Look at it if you like flourishes—it's a cool take on a flip book.

So I Googled Yoshinari and found his website, http://yoshinaritakahashi.com/. The designs were detailed and fabulous. Back in the day, I used to use pen and ink fairly often for illustration and design. The Rapidiograph pen was a staple in the days before computer design for all graphic designers. So it was a natural as a drawing tool. I also drew with a quill pen and sometimes with a reed pen with ink washes. I might explore that medium again soon. It’s a bit messy and unforgiving. Yoshinari has mastered it in his artwork. I included some pieces, but I recommend going to his website for a closer look.

No comments:

Post a Comment